History of the Club
The club was founded in January 1904 by officers of military units in Sierra Leone. The first President being Lt. Col. Dalrymple-Hay. The original course was situated at Brookfields, Freetown. A building in the first instance, rented for the use as a clubhouse. In 1909 a clubhouse was erected, the cost being defrayed by voluntary contributions from members. At the end of 1928 the club left Brookfields and moved to the present site at Lumley Beach. A nine-hole course was laid out and completed for play in July 1929 during which time the temporary clubhouse was erected. In 1933 the course was extended to twelve holes and more permanent Club was opened in 1935.
The present Club House was built in 1942 by Military Authorities for use jointly by Club Members and Officers of H.M. Forces stationed in Sierra Leone. This building was purchased by the Club in 1946. Due to war time necessity of laying a road along what was the first fairway and the erection of the new Club House on the third green, the course was once more reduced to nine holes.
An additional piece of land fifteen acres in extent adjoining the course was purchase by the club in 1947 and in 1949 the course was once again increased to twelve holes.
In 1973 the Freetown Rugby Club recommended that a pitch should be constructed on Club land adjacent to was the 7th Fairway, which was not being used for golf The suggestion was accepted and the pitch was constructed. A Rugby section of the Club flourished for some years. In 1973 also saw the construction of two squash courts at the Club. The introduction of these facilities attracted many new members. The squash section is very active. In 1976 part of the car park was used to construct two tennis courts. This facility is vey popular amongst members. In the mid eighties the course was lengthened to provide eighteen holes. During the late nineties the club was forced to close, due to the war within the country but re-opened as soon as peace returned. Many of the members had left the country by this time. So the membership was very low. Since that time to present date, the membership has been steadily increasing. In January 2004 the Club celebrated it Centenary Year. This was marked by various functions and sporting events. A March by some of the Club members took place. Starting at Brookfields, the original home of the Golf Club. Finishing at the present Club. A Commemorative Plaque, in front of the Club House, was unveiled by His Excellency Alhaji Dr Ahmad Tejan Kabba President of the Republic of Sierra Leone. The Club hosted members from other Squash and Tennis Courts to partake in interclub competitions. Fun competitions such as cross country were organized. Evening functions were held.